Heritage Register
James Bay

40 San Jose Avenue
(ex-30 San Juan Av)

Built 1892
Heritage-Designated 1989

For: Donald & Ellen Morrison

Builder: Donald Stewart Morrison

40 San Jose


This one-storey, hip-roofed, Queen Anne Cottage has eaves brackets around the house. There are two pediment-gabled, angled bays, one on the right front and one on the left side, both with long corner brackets and drop finials. The front porch to the left of the bay is now accessed by side-facing steps. There are two bracketed, turned posts and two pilasters, turned spindles in the frieze and turned balusters on the porch and the steps. The original window casings have been changed in style, and the double-hung sashes have been replaced with single-paned, double-glazed windows. There are fishscale shingles in the gables and plain shingles on the body of the house, likely over original drop siding. The two chimneys are now corbelled. A matching garage has been built in the back yard.


Improvements assessed to Donald Morrison in 1893 for $600 rose to $1,200 by 1897. Donald (b. Dalhousie, NB c.1840-1937) and Ellen (b. Chatham, 1845-1912) came west in the mid-1880s, and then to Victoria shortly before building this house. Donald, who moved out after Ellen’s death, was a cannery manager for 30 years until retiring in 1913.


1918-43: Janet “Jessie” (née Irvine, b. Macduff, SCT c.1858-1946) Thompson, widow of James Thompson (b. ENG d.1919), came to Canada c.1910, presumably with James. 1944-45: Kenneth Laurent Quagliotti (b. Vancouver 1918-1994) and Jessie Alice (née Falconer, b. Quatsino, BC 1918) married in Vancouver in 1941. Ken was on active service. 1946-51: Thomas Stevenson (b. Sumas Prairie, BC 1889-1972) and Edith (née Dyer, 1888-1994) . Thomas served overseas with the 103rd Battalion from 1914-18, and later married Edith. He was a refrigeration engineer for 15 years until he retired in 1950. He was a member of Columbia Lodge No.1, AF&AM, and Lodge No.1 BCR.

1952-79: Timothy Allen (b. London, ON 1881-1979) and Mabel (née Morrissey, b. Victoria 1886-1965) married after Tim, a plastering contractor, arrived here in 1901.


• James Bay History

• James Bay Heritage Register

• This Old House, Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods,
Volume Two: James Bay

House GrantsHeritage HousesResources & PublicationsNews & EventsBuilding CommunityAbout