Heritage Register
James Bay

134 St Andrews Street

Built 1912
Heritage-Designated 2002

For: William & Annie McIntyre

Designer/Builders: William Dunford & Son

134 St Andrews


This shingled, Craftsman Arts & Crafts “Dunford Bungalow” is a front-gabled house with two gabled extensions, one on the right front and one on the left side. There are wide shed-roofed dormers on either side towards the rear of the main gabled roof. The three gables all sit on a low-pitched, hipped roof over the wide, deep corner front porch. The hipped roof has exposed rafter tails, and the front gables have finials. Three square posts pegged together at the top sit on stone piers and support the porch roof. The tall stone chimney on the right side of the main roof intersects a small triangular dormer. Although the plans are not signed, the sewer permit application is signed by William Dunford & Son as agent for the owner. The Dunfords built another of the St. Andrews St houses in 1912, and three on Niagara St at the end of St. Andrews St in 1911 (629, 633 & 637 Niagara St, James Bay).

This is the second house William McIntyre built on St. Andrews (109 St. Andrews St) in 1912; he was likely investing in speculative housing. There were four new houses built on St. Andrews St on the former playing field, Caledonian Grounds, in 1912, representing the peak year of Victoria’s development boom prior to WWI.


1912-15: William Everett McIntyre (b. Wyoming, ON, 1882-1962) and Annie Maude (née Greenway, b. Ontario 1878-1950) built 134 St. Andrews St as their home. William established a pharmacy in Crystal City, MB, then came here in 1908 and went into real estate and insurance. He was department manager at Pemberton & Son when he lived in this house. By 1916 they were living in Esquimalt, and William was an agent for Mutual Life. During WWI, William was a captain in the Medical Corps, and later served overseas. He was a grand master of United Services Lodge No.24, AF&AM. William later married May Lewis, and retired in 1955.


1917: Henry Renwick, a BC forestry department clerk, and his wife Anna. Early 1920s: John and Madaline (née Cassidy) Lambert. John, a civil engineer, was born in England, Madaline in Seattle. They married here in 1912 shortly after arrival. Madaline died in 1922 at 32 and John sold the house. He married Vera Bickle, a BC Department of Agriculture clerk, in 1934 and they lived in Vancouver. John died in 1969 at 86.

1926-31: William and Ethel (née Wilby) McLagan then moved to 231 St. Andrews St, where they lived for over 50 years.

1933-c.37: Alexander and Vivian Stevenson. His shoe repair business, which began as Inrig & Stevenson c.1930, is still operating under his name in Victoria.

1939: Frederick Chinn (b. Bristol, ENG 1884-1966) and Grace (née Rogers, Portage la Prairie, MB 1898-1973) Fred served with the Gloucestershire Regiment in the Boer War. He came to Canada in c.1910, married Grace and settled in Moose Jaw, where they lived for over 30 years. Fred served with the Royal Air Force during WWI. They came to Victoria c.1937, and Fred worked as an upholsterer at Spencer’s. He was a member of Confederation Lodge No. 116, AF&AM.

1947-53: Lawrence Elves (b. Sault St. Marie, ON 1899-1963) and Elizabeth (née Hitchin, b. London, ENG 1900-1980); Lawrence came here in 1911 and they married in 1920. He was a lathing contractor in the 1940s; by the early 1950s he was a fireman at Dockyard until his death.


• James Bay History

• James Bay Heritage Register

• This Old House, Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods,
Volume Two: James Bay

House GrantsHeritage HousesResources & PublicationsNews & EventsBuilding CommunityAbout