Heritage Register
James Bay

109 St Andrews Street

Built 1912
Heritage-Designated 2001

For: Ford, Wright & McIntyre

Architect: Louis Hazeltine

109 St Andrews


This 1½-storey, side-gabled British Arts & Crafts Bungalow has a prominent front-facing gabled extension on the right front and exposed rafter tails. A long shed-roofed dormer on the main roof has two pairs of multi-light windows. There is a wide, shallow, segmental-shed-roofed, cantilevered, angled bay on the left side to the right of a round-arched doorway. On the right side is a shed-roofed extension towards the rear. The inset corner porch is accessed through a round-arched opening on the left of the gabled extension; Hazeltine designed an arbour for the front of the entrance. There is a round-arched opening and a window to the left of the entry; the window has an unusual leaded art glass, stylized spider web design. All the windows have multi-lights, some over single panes. Under an extension of the gabled roof at the left rear is an attached garage. The house is clad in wide bevelled siding; there are two square brick chimneys.


Architect Louis Hazeltine designed this speculative home for Allan B. Ford, Wright and McIntyre (134 St. Andrews) who all worked for Pemberton & Son in real estate and insurance.
1913-16: Mary E. McDonald, of California, owned it as a rental property. Tenants: 1913-24: Edward Noyes Horsey (b. Utica, NY 1883-1964) and Flora (née McDonald, b. Alliston, ON 1895-1975). Edward, an engineer, came to BC in 1908 and in 1909 married Flora in Prince Rupert. They resided in West Vancouver until their deaths.


1926-30: Marshall “Aubrey” Kent (b. Victoria 1891-1978) and his wife, Doris (née Evans, then Kenning, b. Vancouver 1894-1977) married in 1923. Doris was a great-granddaughter of pioneers Thomas and Jane Fawcett, who came to Victoria in 1858. Doris was involved in many clubs, including the Navy League Chapter of IODE and Veterans Hospital Auxiliary. During WWII, Doris was actively involved with the navy canteen at Robert House and air force canteen at Sidney. She promoted the renovation of the Balmoral Hotel as a hostel for service women.

Aubrey was a musician, soldier, merchant and politician. He was a trumpeter for Tally-Ho wagon tours during school summer holidays. From 15 he worked at the family music store, M.W. Waitt & Co (228 Douglas St, James Bay), and joined the 5th Regiment, Canadian Garrison Artillery, as personal trumpeter to Lt.-Col. later Gen. Sir Arthur Currie (1114 Arthur Currie Ln, Vic West). Aubrey was commissioned as a lieutenant before WWI and served overseas for three years, mostly with the 39th Lethbridge Battalion. He returned as a captain and commanded the 5th BC Coast Brigade from 1934-38. By 1941 Lt.-Col. Kent commanded the WWII Gordon Head artillery officers’ training centre.

After WWI Aubrey went back to the family business, begun by his grandfather in 1876; it became Kent Piano in 1913 when Aubrey’s father Herbert inherited the business. Aubrey bought controlling interest in the Victoria store in 1928 when Herbert retired. In 1946, the company became Kent’s Ltd, and sold electrical appliances and radios for the post-war housing boom. Aubrey, a City of Victoria alderman in 1947 and 1950, ran unsuccessfully for mayor in 1949 and 1951. 30 years ahead of his time in terms of his views of Victoria’s development, he was against high-density development in the city, suggesting that citizens would have to pay higher taxes to maintain the city. He and Doris moved to his parents’ house at 228 Douglas St c.1930.

Owners: 1941-44: George Workman Murray (b. Glasgow, SCT 1885-1979) and Clara Dennis (née West, b. Adrian, MI, 1886-1962). George trained in law and came to Canada in 1911. He and Clara lived in Kindersley, SK, where George practised as a barrister and solicitor. In 1940 they retired to Victoria.

1945-58: Alfred Hood (b. Aberdeen, SCT 1866-1945) married Alice Maud (née Fraser, b. Liverpool, ENG 1877-1973) in 1905. Alfred came to Victoria in 1897 and was chief clerk of BC Department of Public Works for 35 years until he retired c. early 1930s. He was a charter member of the Arion Male Voice Choir, and a long-time member of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Choir. Alice came here with her parents Alexander and Mary Ann Fraser in the 1890s. The Hoods also lived in 658 Battery St c.1908-21 and 633 Simcoe St 1922-44.

• James Bay History

• James Bay Heritage Register

• This Old House, Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods,
Volume Two: James Bay

House GrantsHeritage HousesResources & PublicationsNews & EventsBuilding CommunityAbout