Heritage Register
Victoria West

203 Raynor Avenue (ex-203 Jessie St)

Built 1892
Heritage-Designated 1977

For: Francis & Margaret Hinde

Architect: attributed to A.C. Ewart

203 Raynor


This well-preserved Victorian Queen Anne landmark residence was built the same year as 202 Raynor Av, but for $500 more. It is a hip-roofed house with a pedimented front gable over a two-storey angled bay; the upper bay has unusual shingled brackets. There is a blind gable-on-hip behind and to the right on the front gable. There are hip-roofed angled bays on both sides and a hipped roof dormer on the rear main roof. The bay on the right has an enclosed angled balcony. There is a wrap-around verandah on the front and right sides below a wide hipped roof, with a pedimented gable over the entrance. The verandah has many square posts with heavy turnings, and an Eastlake balustrade. The brackets are used as arches between the posts - see detail. Lattice work is a theme in this house (gable and brackets) and covers the foundation level. The upper floor is clad is decorative shingles, with drop siding on the main floor. It is almost identical to 522 Quadra St, Fairfield, which was designed in 1897 by architect A.C. Ewart (1458 Begbie St, Fernwood). It is therefore very possible that he designed this one as well.


1892-37: Francis “Frank” Hinds (b. Brussels, ON, 1863-1935) and Margaret Elizabeth “Maggie” (née Elliott, b. Collingwood, ON, 1868-1941) married in Vancouver in 1891, and moved into the house before the birth of their only child Bernice Jane in 1892. Frank came to Victoria in 1887. He was a painter, sign writer, woodworker and salesman, a member of one of Victoria’s first volunteer fire brigades, and an active member of the Victoria West Brotherhood. In 1897 Frank joined the rush for Yukon gold and spent several years in Whitehorse as a customs officer. Maggie may have gone with Frank and the house was rented to tenants: 1897-98: VMD machinist William Brown and Helen “Ellen” Hamilton Christopher and their offspring had emigrated from Scotland in 1891: Twins David and William were clerks at Lenz & Leiser, wholesale dry goods, and at M. & H.A. Fox, cutlery & fishing supplies; Edmund Christopher was a tailor; Marguerite Marie; and Dora H.

Maggie Hinds was living in the house again in 1899 and Frank returned before the 1901 census. The Hinds owned the lot next door and had a barn with a loft, fruit trees and chickens. Maggie, who was of United Empire Loyalist background, lived in the house until 1937, scrubbing the battleship linoleum on the kitchen floor on her knees every day after lunch. She then lived with Bernice who was a teacher when she married accountant Harold LeMessurier Butteris in 1921. Harold signed up for the CEF in 1914 and was a lieutenant by 1918. He retired in 1954 as a DVA casualty officer.


1938-46: Engineer James McCormick and nurse Novart (née Saunders, b. Boston, MA, 1903-1983) married in Victoria in 1935. For several years during WWII, the house was duplexed. The tenants were Bernard and Dorcas Taylor, who in 1943 moved next door into 1114 Arthur Currie Ln, where they lived for many years.
1945-63: David Osler (b. Fyfeshire, SCT, 1887-1972), a machinist at Yarrows and a farmer, and Helen (née Sandilands, b. Glasgow, SCT, 1887-1982) came to Victoria in 1943.
1983-93: George Radford (b. SK 1931-2005) and Bruce Gibson-Bean won a 1986 Hallmark Society award for their restoration of the house. They created a renowned Victorian garden beside the house.


• Vic West History

• Vic West Heritage Register

• This Old House, Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods,
Volume One: Fernwood & Victoria West

House GrantsHeritage HousesResources & PublicationsNews & EventsBuilding CommunityAbout