line
 
   
 
 
 
 

Heritage Register
Fairfield

320 Linden Avenue

Built 1912
Heritage-Designated 1991

For: Edward & Grace Pollard

320 Linden

ARCHITECTURE:

The symmetrical fa├žade of this well-preserved Colonial Bungalow features a triangular attic dormer with a pair of casement windows set into a low-pitched hipped roof. In the rear, a brick chimney is topped by three pots. The main and basement levels are clad in double-bevel siding; the gable is shingled. Wooden stairs with a stepped solid balustrade lead to the full-width recessed verandah. It is supported by four square posts detailed with Classical capital elements set on large piers clad in double-bevel siding. Lattice skirting encloses the area below the verandah. The inset front door is glazed with bevelled glass and flanked by sidelights. Shallow box bays, either side of the entrance, have triple windows consisting of double-hung sashes and a larger fixed centre pane with a transom above. Both sides of the house feature matching, narrow, projecting box bays with piano windows. Leaded glass is found in the transoms, piano windows and the sidelights. There is a period garage at the rear.

ORIGINAL OCCUPANTS:

Edward B. and Grace Pollard got a building permit in 1912 for a 9-room house to cost $3,000. They lived here until 1918, when they sold it to Charles Douglas (1855-1941) and Florence Annie (Rex, 1866-1928) Dumbleton, who lived here for several years. Charles was the son of Henry Dumbleton and Clara Marian Garcia of Rocklands (demolished) and brother of Alan Southey Dumbleton (1648 Rockland Av, Rockland). Born in Hallgrove, Surrey, England, Charles lived in South Africa with his family for a time. There he met Florence, who was born in Kynsna, Cape of Good Hope. They were married in 1884 and came to Canada c.1888, BC in 1892. Charles was a farmer, and they settled near Pike Lake in the Highlands District. For some unknown reason they bought this house and lived here for a few years before returning to Pike Lake.

OTHER OCCUPANTS:

Commercial traveler Ernest Saunders Ware (1886-1977) bought the house in 1924 and lived here for over 50 years. In 1929 in Port Orchard, WA, he married Sibyl Nelson (King, 1894-1978) from Moodyville, BC. Sibyl came to Victoria with her widowed mother and siblings in 1901.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION & IMAGES:

• Fairfield History

• Fairfield Heritage Register



• This Old House, Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods,
Volume Four: Fairfield, Gonzales & Jubilee


 © VICTORIA HERITAGE FOUNDATION (VHF) 2013
House GrantsHeritage HousesResources & PublicationsNews & EventsBuilding CommunityAbout