Heritage Register

806 Linden Avenue
Hume Cottage

Built 1907
Heritage-Designated 1985

For: Thomas & Mary Shaw

Architect: H.J. Rous Cullin

806 Linden


Hume Cottage
is a 1½-storey British Arts & Crafts house; however it does not match its building plans. The medium-pitched roof is front-gabled with large wall dormers on each side. A slender, flared chimney, covered in stucco, is capped with chimney pots. Drop finials are on the apex of the front and south gables. A variety of surface treatments is used as cladding; narrow bevelled siding on the lower, smooth stucco and half-timbering above and shingles in the gables. A tapered belt course with dentils and faux pegs defines the upper gables. The foundation and stair balustrades are granite. The full-width, hip-roofed verandah and gabled central entry are supported by tapered posts on battered granite piers. The entry stairs are enclosed by a flared and curved, low granite balustrade capped in concrete. The front door is partially glazed with an oval window and is flanked by sidelights of leaded bevelled glass. An angled bay window to the left of the door consists of a fixed centre pane and narrow side panes, all with transoms. The smaller upper sashes are leaded multipaned. The McClure St side has been somewhat altered, and converted to suites with extensive staircases on the back.


The first owners were Thomas (c.1842-1928) and Mary (Penketh, 1834-1917) Shaw, who lived here until 1913. Born in Salford, England, Thomas left in the early 1870s and lived in Chicago and California before coming to BC in the late 1870s. He started a boiler business with his son-in-law, Joe Kuna, which was later merged with Albion Iron Works. Thomas was foreman, then manager of Albion Iron Works. He eventually established Marine Iron Works, which he sold to Andrew Gray c.1900. Thomas left Victoria for the Yukon, and established another Marine Iron Works at Dawson City, where he lived briefly.

Thomas and Mary’s daughter Victoria Emma Shaw (1874-1958) was born in Chicago and married Clarence Nelson Cox in 1892, but he died in 1901. In 1909 Victoria married Ellis Edgar Heath (1881-1968) of Heath & Chaney real estate and they lived here with her parents for several years. Born at Sparrow Lake, ON, Ellis came to Victoria in 1907 and established his firm in 1910. He was a notary public and served on the BC Government zoning board of appeal from 1937-65. He lived at 329 Moss for many years and 1311 Franklin Terrace (Fairfield) was built for Heath & Chaney. He married Hilda Margetts (1901-1986) some time after Victoria died in 1958.


Rev Charles Rogers (1862-1922) and Emily Isabel (Mercer, 1864-1938) Littler lived here c.1915-17, and by 1922 had moved to 616 Trutch St (Fairfield). Jeffrey J. Irwin lived here briefly in 1920. He worked with the Bank of British North America, then the Bank of Montreal and was transferred to another city. Widow Annie Johnston lived here with her daughter Florence in 1921. Fred (1866-1945) and Ada (Waind, 1866-1945) Furber bought this house in 1924 and lived here until 1941. Ada was born in Goldstone, ON and Fred in London, England. The Furbers lived in Portage La Prairie, AB, before moving to California and then Victoria in 1924. Fred’s occupation is unknown, and he appears to have retired to Victoria.

Frank (1883-1963) and Margaret Conway (Gillespie, 1892-1967) Lesley bought this house in the mid-1940s. Frank was a retired police chief and worked as a salesman with H.W. Miller & Co. Margaret was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, and Frank in Lincolnshire, England. They came to Canada in 1910 and to Victoria from Prince Albert SK, in 1943. They lived here for the rest of their lives.


• Fairfield History

• Fairfield Heritage Register

• This Old House, Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods,
Volume Four: Fairfield, Gonzales & Jubilee

House GrantsHeritage HousesResources & PublicationsNews & EventsBuilding CommunityAbout