942-44 St. Charles St

ex-944; Wilmar

Built: 1909-10

Heritage-Designated 2001

For: William & Mary Todd

Architect: Samuel Maclure

Contractor: George Calder

942 St Charles Street

ARCHITECTURE:

Wilmar is a two-storey, Mission-style Arts & Crafts house; the Mission style is unusual for Victoria: see also 2667 Empire Av, Oaklands. It has many levels of multiple bellcast hipped roofs, with wide eaves and two dormers. Mission details include the red tile roof, the arcaded porte-cochère in front and arcaded porches on the left side and the rear. The porch on the left side has a pergola to its right and a balustraded balcony above. The porte-cochère has a bellcast hipped roof. The upper floor has Tudor Revival stucco and half-timbering, and banks of multi-paned leaded lights under the eaves. The lower floor is stuccoed. In a box bay on the right side, there was a good arched stained glass window, now replaced, depicting a landscape with windmill; it was made by William Morris & Co (Ruskin House), which is not the wellknown Morris & Co.

ORIGINAL OCCUPANTS:

1909-51: William “Will” Charles Todd (1885-1942) son of Charles Fox “Charlie” and Louisa Todd (Illahie, 1041 St. Charles St) and Mary Chatwin (née Butchart, b. Port Arthur [Thunder Bay], ON 1887-1972), second daughter of Robert and Jenny Butchart (906 St. Charles St; 1737 Rockland Av) married in the garden of Illahie in 1910. Wilmar is a contraction of William and Mary’s first names.

Will’s grandfather, Jacob Hunter Todd, J.P. set up J.H. Todd, Wholesale Groceries & General Importers in 1874, then established J.H. Todd Fish Packing Co. in 1881, with their Horseshoe salmon label. J.H. died in 1899, Charlie took over the firm and when Will turned 21, brought him into the firm. Will was Sec-Treas from 1930 and became Pres after Charlie died in 1941. However Will died in 1942 and Mary didn’t have funds to pay the death duties, so sold their family shares to his brother Ernest “Ernie” Dane Todd (1887-1978), who then became Pres of the firm.

Will’s younger son Derek Chatwin Todd (b. Victoria 1921-2015), started working in the firm in 1945, after his discharge from the RCAF at the end of WWII. He flew 30 bombing missions. However, because his uncle now ran the company, he was no longer in line for succession as head of the firm. J.H. Todd & Sons was bankrupt by the early 1950s. The assets, including six canneries and the fish traps, were divided and sold to BC Packers and Canadian Fishing Co in 1954.

Will was a generous donor to Royal Jubilee Hospital. He and Mary had a country home in the Highlands district that is still in the family. Mary remained here until 1951, then moved to a suite in her sister’s house at 906 St. Charles St until her death.

944 was triplexed in 1952. It became 2 condos with added townhouses on the property in 2004.